Information for Landlords


We will need confirmation of ownership of the property to be let and if jointly owned permission from both parties is required.  In cases of Power of Attorney, we will need to see a certified copy of the Power of Attorney.   We will also need to see photo proof of identification and current address and copies of these should be held on file.



If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgage company’s written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.



If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease and obtain the necessary written consent before letting.



If you are a tenant yourself, you will require your landlord's consent.



When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely his responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, under new rules effective from 6 April 1996, unless an exemption certificate is held, we as landlord's agents are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received, less certain expenses. An application form for exemption from such deductions is available from this Agency, and further information may be obtained from the Inland Revenue.



The following safety requirements are the responsibility of the owner (the landlord), and where we are to Manage the property, they are also ours as agents. Therefore to protect all interests we have a duty to ensure full compliance with the appropriate regulations, at the owner's expense.

Gas Appliances & Equipment
Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 (amended 1996) and some other regulations, all gas appliances in tenanted premises must be checked for safety at intervals of not more than 12 months, by a CORGI registered gas engineer, and a safety certificate issued. Records must be kept of the dates of inspections, of defects identified, and of any remedial action taken.

Electrical Appliances & Equipment
Under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs & Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 and some other regulations, electrical installations and equipment in tenanted premises must be safe. Although (unlike gas) no safety certificate is legally required, and therefore it may be adequate to perform a visual check of electrical equipment, fittings and leads, it is recommended that a qualified electrician be engaged for this purpose.



The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989, 1993 & 1996) provide that specified items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire resistant standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, and beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows, and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, bed clothes including duvets, loose covers for mattresses, pillowcases, curtains, carpets or sleeping bags. Therefore all relevant items as above must be checked for compliance, and non-compliant items removed from the premises. In practice, most (but not all) items which comply must have a suitable permanent label attached. Items purchased since 1 March 1990 from a reputable supplier are also likely to comply.


All properties built since June 1992 must have been fitted with mains powered smoke detector alarms from new.  Although there is no legislation requiring smoke alarms to be fitted in other ordinary tenanted properties, it is generally considered that the common law 'duty of care' means that Landlords and their Agents could be liable should a fire cause injury or damage in a tenanted property where smoke alarms are not fitted.  We therefore strongly recommend that the Landlord fit at least one alarm on each floor of the property (for example, in the hall and landing areas).



If you are considering purchasing an investment property we can offer advice on the most sought after properties, achievable rent levels, popular areas and whether to offer furnished or unfurnished.  We can also put you in touch directly with some of the best Estate Agents in the town or we can offer a property find service, for an additional charge.  We can offer advice if you wish to furnish a property yourself or we have a contact who can provide a full furniture pack for your property within a few days. 



Where possible try and obtain a valid and certified gas safety certificate through your builders, prior to completion.  (This will save you time and money).  Just because you have bought a new property it does not mean the gas installation is safe, it must be certified by a CORGI registered contractor and a copy of the certificate presented to each tenant before they move in.   


Please note that all properties should have adequate floor coverings, light fittings,curtains or blinds in each room and a cooker.  It is advisable to also have a washing machine and fridge/freezer.


BT charge a one off connection fee for a land line at all new properties, currently at £125.   The tenant usually requests that the Landlord pays this fee but each Landlord must make his own decision on this issue.   



We will interview and get to know your potential tenants before sending their application to a professional referencing company.  Many quality applicants prefer to rent through an Agent as they know their deposit will be secure.  Renting property has become extremely internet based and in addition to our own website we have links to the top UK Property website and who are associated with Daily Mail and have links to their website.  All our properties will also be advertised on The Evening Standard website  All of this coupled with our regular advertising in local papers and contacts in local businesses, hospitals and relocation agents mean we will be working very hard to find you a tenant as quickly as possible.



The landlord will continue to be liable for the service/maintenance charges and ground rent on the property.  The tenant pays council tax, water rates, gas, electric, TV and phone.  The location of water, gas and electric meters and stopcocks etc should be made clear to the agent or in the case of Tenant Find your tenant directly.


It is advisable to get your mail redirected prior to vacating your property (It takes some time before Royal Mail can put this service in operation).  You cannot rely on your new tenants to forward post onto you. 


Please provide one set of keys for each tenant and an additional set for us in order to manage your property. 


A photocopy of all instructions for appliances for your tenant should be left in the property in a designated folder for safe keeping and the originals kept on file at our office.


It is very important that all properties are thoroughly cleaned and gardens put into seasonal order prior to the commencement of a tenancy.



If you need any help regarding Mortgages then we can put you in touch with professional independent mortgage consultants.



We abide by a professional code of conduct to help protect both landlord and tenant and this includes keeping client monies in a designated client account with client money protection.



Lets Rent Property Management have joined the Dispute Service Tenancy Deposit scheme and such will charge each landlord where a Assured Shorthold Tenancy is agreed, a deposit registration fee of £20 plus VAT (£24.00).  There will be no charge levied on company agreements.