It is important for the landlord to maintain adequate buildings & contents insurance and for the tenant to insure their personal possessions.  If you currently have insurance for the property you do need to inform your insurance company that you will be letting your property as failure to do this could invalidate any subsequent claim. There is cover available via HOMELET who have policies tailored specifically to the residential lettings market including:


Buildings & Contents Insurance for single property owners through to portfolio landlords

Emergency Assistance

Rent & Legal Protection

UK & European Holiday Home Insurance  



Please note that your landlord cannot be held responsible for insuring your personal possessions.  You must take out a policy that gives you cover for accidental damage to landlords goods and it is advisable to take out your own contents insurance e.g. carpets, curtains, kitchen work surfaces or any furniture or fittings in the property.  Policies can be taken for a 6 or 12 months and there may be an option to monthly payments, subject to terms and conditions.  We hold a comprehensive selection of leaflets at our office, alternatively please see direct links to Letsure below.